Saturday, October 18, 2008

Two-Headed Girl: Story No. 9

Okay, okay. Here's the thing: She dared me to do it! She dared me.

Well, that's interesting. Are you going to go through with it?

Okay. So, yes? Maybe. I don't know. Maybe?

Maybe?

Well, It's just... I'm not really sure whether it's something I should be doing right now.

Hmm.... I don't want to overstep my bounds here, and you can tell me if I'm off-base, but that sounds like a bit of a cop out to me.

What? A cop out? Come on! It's completely reasonable to worry about what consequences your actions could have, especially on a dare.

Listen, I'm as cautious as the next person--god forbid that person does Xtreme Sports or something--but, I really don't see why you need to feel like you "should" or "should not" be doing something you obviously really want to do. (Don't look at me like that! You are DYING to do this. You've been waiting for the motivation for years.) It just sounds a little bit like you're worried about the outcome because you don't want to be personally held responsible for whatever happens.

Wow. You think I've been personally shirking responsibility, huh?

No, that's not what I--

Yeah, yeah. Okay. I appreciate your honesty. But, while we're being honest, who really wants to be held responsible for anything anyway? With this, it's more that I just don't feel like I'm particularly qualified. It's like I've just told a funny joke and now I've been asked to do an HBO stand-up special, and I know that I'm not able to perform at anywhere near feature-length. I'm afraid I'll end up like every Adam Sandler movie you've ever seen, repeatedly kicking people in the balls in search for a laugh as good as the first one.

I'm sure you won't have to go as far as that! And, of course, there are ten people on every bus that are more qualified and have more will to follow through with this than you. So what? They laugh when Adam Sandler kicks them in the balls. You're the one who's been challenged. She did you a huge favor and laid down the gauntlet for you. Are you going to run it or not?

Well, okay. But I'm going to need new shoes.

Really?

Yeah, the tread is completely worn on these.

And?

And...yes! I'll do it. Yes. Definitely. I'll do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow?

No. Scratch that. I'll do it tonight! Yeah! I'm ready.

Really? You're up for getting this show on the road tonight? How about right now?

Yes! Now. All systems are go!

Alright, then. I'm in.

Yeah?

Yeah.

Yeah! Wonderful! Hey! This is really great news. I'm psyched! With the two of us doing it, how can we go wrong?

I can't imagine.

We'll kill.

You mean: "Make a killing?"

Quite possibly, my friend. Quite possibly. But, in the meantime, there are at least two of us who can take the blame, and another can be held as an accomplice. We should decide right now who should take the fall, if it comes to that, and who should get away Scott free.

3 comments:

Bree said...

This is so creepy, in such a splendid way! My anxiety began with feeling the pressure in the "HBO special" analogy, and it tripled by the last line.

The other Olga said...

The other day at zoetrope I read a story about the hot omphalopagus twins one of whom slept with her psychiatrist, who then also cheated on her with her sister. It's awful to have to have that awfulness in my head when I read you.

Amber said...

I'm glad that this creeped you out, Bree, since that's what I was going for; but, Olga, I'm very sorry to dredge up memories of awful stories! :P

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what life would be like as a conjoined twin. It's really compelling because the randomness of which parts are shared and which parts belong only to one of twins makes the particular bodily existence of each set of twins completely unique.